Hellwigs were among the early Prussian immigrants to South Australia. They arrived on immigrant ships from Germany.
Source: Barry Leadbetter, FamilyHistorySA.org
- Zebra from Altona, 1838
Friedrich HELBIG /HELWIG /HELLWIG (died at sea) family
Elisabeth Eleonore nee Koch
Johann Wilhelm, child
- George Washington from Bremen 1845,
Georg Carl Christian HELLWIG, aged 26, Miner single
- Gellert from Bremen 1847,
ADOLPH (Johann Carl Adolph) HELBIG / HELLWIG family
Clara nee Fritsche,
- Hermann von Beckerath 1847,
Christian Friedrich Valentine HELLWIG / HELWIG age 22 single
- Ceres from Bremen, 1849
J. Carl Christian Gottlieb HELLWIG age 19, ore sorter, single
- Helene from Hamburg 1855.
Johanna HELLWIG single
HELLWIGS PRESENT IN THE COLONY 1838 - 1900These were found in sources other than ship passenger lists, eg BDMs, newspapers, gazettes.
- Carl born c.1830, who married Anne/a Denecke/Donecke in 1854, arrived before Dec. 1854 and was the father (?) of Carl Wilhelm Eduard who changed his surname to Elvey. This is most likely J.Carl Christian Gottlieb, aged 19, ore sorter, who arrived on the Ceres, departed 1849, arrived 1850. He called himself Carl and is exactly the right age.
- Carl who died in the Destitute Asylum in 1872 after being in Hospital. Had one child.
- Carl, younger brother of Christian, who was ill a long time then died in 1872
- Carl Wilhelm Eduard son of Anne nee Denecke and Carl, born 1855, later changed his surname to Elvey
- Christian Friedrich Valentin; arrived 1847, on Hermann vov Beckerath farmer of Lobethal; native of Lautenthal, Hanover [Germany]; age 28 y; in SA 6 y; Memorial 12-8-1853; Oath 11-11-1854; Certificate 23-8-1853; Source(s) GG 12-1-1854, PP 1872, A821, A729 (v2). (Naturalisation record)
- Georg Carl Christian; miner of Balhannah; native of Lautenthal
near Goslar, Germany; age 30 y; in SA 3 y; Memorial 9-7-1849; Oath
22-8-1849; Certificate 16-7-1849; Source(s) GG 28-12-1848, GG 5-7-1860,
PP 1872, A821. (Naturalisation record)
(Note: 4&5 came from the same district. Moved to area close to each other, both Naturalised. Could they be brothers Christian and Carl of #3?)